The art of performing with the human voice rhythmic tones or sounds to produce music with the tones of the present.
- Only one (1) song is to be performed, and it must not exceed two and a half (2.5) minutes. (Contestants not adhering to the maximum time requirement are subject to point deduction.)
- Musical accompaniment must be provided by the contestant either live or using a standard CD. The CD should contain only the instrumental version of the song. Contestants are encouraged to provide a backup CD.
- Contestants requesting piano accompaniment must submit sheet music and requests for accompaniment by May 10, 2021. Sheet music is required at the time of the request. Contestants can also bring an accompanist.
- The material must be memorized.
- Costumes are not permitted.
- Examples of contemporary music are R&B, Broadway, Jazz, R&B, Gospel, Blues, etc.
- Live accompaniment is permitted for this competition.
- The only instrument provided for performance will be a piano.
Contestants will be judged by the following criteria:
- Choice of Music (15)
- Interpretation (20)
- Expression, Phrasing, Style
- Stage Presence (15)
- Comfort on and control of stage, posture
- Rapport with audience
- Technique (25)
- Tone Quality (25)
- Beauty of sound
- Intonation and Diction