- The musical selection must be one specifically written for solo performances and may not exceed five (5) minutes. (Contestants not adhering to the maximum time requirement are subject to point deduction.)
- The selection performed should feature a solo performance. The contestants must provide additional musicians if they are needed for their performance, however, piano accompaniment can be requested to the national office by May 10, 2021. Sheet music is required at the time of request. Contestants can also bring an accompanist.
- Contestants must submit six (6) copies of the sheet music for their performance.
- The only instrument provided for performance will be a piano. Contestants must provide additional instruments/equipment as needed.
- The selection of music and instrument is solely the decision of the contestant.
- Examples of contemporary music are R&B, Broadway, Jazz, Gospel, Blues, etc.
- Live accompaniment is permitted for this competition.
Contestants will be judged by the following criteria:
- Effectiveness of style, Improvisation (20)
- Intonation, Touch (piano) (20)
- Stage presence, Choice of music (20)
- Technique, Articulation, Breathing, Tonality, Rhythm, Facility (20)
- Tone quality, Beauty, Control, Characteristic timbre (20)